Pages

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Soul Seasons, Part 5: Soul Winter




Winter. No one wants to think about it this time of year (except a few snow bunnies I have as friends), but it's inevitably coming. Although winter has a few highlights for me (Christmas and my daughter's birthday), most of the time the word "winter" sends a chill down my spine. Interestingly enough, the cons that come to mind about winter can be spelled out in two word phrases such as limited travel, close quarters, less sunshine, blistering cold, tight muscles. Even the personification of Old Man Winter brings a mental picture of a white bearded, cruel curmudgeon who delights in hurling snowball grenades and icicle spears at a climate-oppressed people. The challenge that I face in the wintertime is getting through it with joy, and not losing hope. Does that describe your struggle between December and March? 


As in the other seasons of the soul, there is a winter. If you're not in wintertime, there is a high probability that it is coming your way. If you've ever been through an extended season of loss, trial, and hardship, you've been through a soul winter. Life around you seems less forgiving; the blows just keep coming like a regularly scheduled barrage of winter storms. Instead of having your arms wide open in stunning vulnerability, you find your arms embracing yourself tightly waiting for the other shoe to drop. Instead of abundance and freedom, you are scrimping and struggling spiritually. You remember with sad longing the days when you were coasting effortlessly, but now you find yourself inching up a steep incline. But if this is where these words find you, don't despair. Surprisingly, everything you've learned in all the other seasons will help you get through this rough patch. How?


Stay Warm
I spend my winter going from one warm place to another. I go from the house to the van. From the van to the store. Although I can't avoid being outside entirely, I know that the cold isn't my final destination; getting to a warm place is key. In order to stay warm in this brutal soul season you're in, you have to cover the area that loses the most heat: your head. So many battles are waged inside the mind, and keeping your mind "warm" in the midst of the icy blasts of life is like fortifying the command center of an organization. As the state of the mind goes, so goes the rest of the individual. It's a struggle to not become bitter when life gets sour, but it's not impossible. In the summer, we learned to give thanks- and that's one way to stay warm. Giving thanks isn't just for November- it's a 365 day of year proposition. In every soul season, there is always something to be thankful for. In spring, we learned to beautify our surroundings; that we can use wisdom to make any situation beautiful, and this includes our minds. 


And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. Philippians 4:8 NLT


These words were penned by the bad-guy-turned-good-guy Apostle Paul not while he was on the beach sipping a cold drink, or in the company of friends at the lake, but alone in a prison. A PRISON. And not the kind of prison that inmates in America experience today, but a dank, dark dungeon. Through the power of the Holy Spirit, Paul was able to experience warmth in the midst of a soul winter. His arms and legs may have been in shackles, and his physical body behind stone and bars, but his mind and his spirit were free. To loosely borrow lyrics from "My Girl", when it was cold inside, he had the month of May. His mind was set on the exact opposites of what he was experiencing. His thoughts shot straight past the small truths about what he was feeling, and with the laser focus we learned about in autumn, he was able to hone into the bigger truths about God's character. Paul turned his spirit from a thermometer, subject to the changing climate around him, to a thermostat, that controlled the climate around him, and thereby he was able to keep warm. 


Keep Hope Alive
In the dead of winter, I find myself looking online for pictures of warm, lush places. I've been known to change the wallpaper of my phone to a beach, or a flower carpeted field somewhere. Am I torturing myself? Maybe. But deep down inside, I'm nursing the thought that someday, the barren wasteland around me will match the picture I have on my phone. Jeremiah in the Bible was in a horrible state when he looked around him. All he saw was pain, devastation, loss, and hopelessness. His people had turned their backs on God, and were now living out the dire consequences. His heart was dashed into pieces remembering Israel's glory days, and now seeing her desolation. The picture of the past didn't match the picture from the present. Let's crouch down to his slumped posture and feel his agony.


I cry out, "My splendor is gone! Everything I had hoped for from the Lord is lost!" The thought of my suffering and homelessness is bitter beyond words. I will never forget this awful time, as I grieve over my loss. Lamentations 3: 18-20


Pretty depressing, huh? But that's life sometimes. Not the pretty picture we are often painting on social media. Jack Frost has nothing on the searing bite life can have. And yet in the vicious soul winter squall, we see a break in the clouds over Jeremiah's head, and hope streams down in silken threads:


Yet I still dare to hope when I remember this: the faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is His faithfulness; His mercies begin afresh each morning. I say to myself, "The Lord is my inheritance; therefore I will hope in Him!" Lamentations 3: 21-24


In Disney/Pixar's film Wall-E, the earth was trashed. Quite literally. The entire landscape of earth was piled so high and so deep with trash that life was choked out. But not all life. In the midst of the mountains of debris, Wall-E finds something completely paradoxical. Somehow, someway, a tiny green plant was able to thrive in the most unforgiving soil. He gingerly scooped up that tender life form with the earth surrounding it, and placed it in an old boot. SPOILER ALERT: the rest of the movie is built around him and his companion Eve protecting this plant from destruction. Hope must be protected that vigilantly. There is so much in life that threatens to pry open the sweaty fingers we're using to cling to hope and get us to let it go. World events. Difficulties. 

Hope is outnumbered by a million and one things, and yet only a sliver is needed to overcome them all. If we place our hope in God, we'll realize that even in a seemingly eternal soul winter, His mercies do begin afresh every morning.

 With the rising of the sun, comes enough hope to get us through our day. And when we pillow our heads that night and all seems lost, we wake up to new hope the next morning. Might life still be hard and cold? Probably. But there is always hope. Answer your soul winter's bludgeoning by daring to hope. Winter won't last forever. It's a season, remember? It has a beginning, a middle, and a rewarding end: springtime. Until then, stay warm, and keep hope alive. 


Did any of the soul seasons resonate with you? Gather up your courage, and let me know in the comments below! You never know who you'll be able to encourage with your story. Also, if you've missed any of the seasons posts, make sure to check out part 1 here! No matter what season of life you find yourself in, thrive, my brave friend, no matter what comes your way.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Be sure to leave me a comment so I know you stopped by!