Pages

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Soul Seasons, Part 3: Summer





It's rainy and cold now, but come with me to the day when I first wrote this. It was 90 degrees outside, and there was a balmy breeze blowing. It was a day many have been waiting for and dreaming of since the wintertime. The rhododendrons in my neighborhood are in full bloom. Even the trees seemed to be swaying their branches in a happy way; warm weather looks delightful on them. When I think of summer, I think of chances to relax, drippy glasses of lemonade, and the gritty, cool sand of the beach. I admit that although summer isn't my favorite season, I am finding beauty in it. All I can think of are the scrumptious berries that I've been missing out on, and the watermelon that makes hydration easy for my kids, the unrushed mornings that bring joy to our day, and the extra time spent with family and friends around picnic tables and bonfires. 


Summer seems to bring with it a sense of overabundance. Overabundance of sunlight, fun, fruits, and family time. Summer of the soul is much like that. You find yourself in a place of abundance. It seems like everything is clicking with you. You have more than enough- but not necessarily monetarily. Counting your blessings comes easy, and you appreciate that, because life isn't always like this. You are in a sweet spot. Even if you aren't in summer of the soul right now, I bet you can remember a time when you were, while holding on to hope that you will be once again.
How can we adjust to soul summer in a way that would promote peace and joy in our hearts?


Give thanks.

It's easy to forget to be thankful when everything seems to be lining up. Sometimes in the excitement of blessings, we forget to bless the One who brought it along. It's the heart that has known seasons of loss or paring back that can thank God. Those branches heavy with green leaves once was barren. That lush bed of grass just a few months back was once dead and covered in a mountain of snow. Remember back to when you prayed for those things now in your arms? Give thanks. Thank God for His blessings, and His faithfulness. Thank Him for those things you overlook, like that sweet sale, the love of a friend, or your health. It was a DVD of singing vegetables that taught me that a thankful heart is a happy heart.

Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:18

Gratitude says, "I know You didn't have to give it, but You did." "I prayed for this, and You answered the cry of my heart." "I don't always remember to thank You for ________, but today, I'm remembering." It keeps the channel of blessing open, because it is a constant reminder that God is good, and that He is the source of every good and perfect gift.



Give of Yourself.

I've caught myself when I'm tempted to hoard. I'm not proud of those moments. When I'm selfish, I block out everyone else but me. My needs. My wants. My oh my! But when I open my clenched fist, and give to others, I'm filled with a different kind of satisfying joy- the joy of passing along a blessing to someone. You've felt it too. I know people who live for the reactions of those receiving their Christmas gifts. Maybe you get a high off of that money moment too. It really is more blessed to give than receive. And although giving out of our own need is a sacrifice, it can be just as fun to give out of our abundance. Not just money, but time. Talent. Even a simple text in one of your free pockets of time to bless someone can be giving of your extra. 


The generous will prosper; those who refresh others will themselves be refreshed. Proverbs 11:25


Summers of the soul are for giving; for giving thanks, and for giving of yourself. Enjoy every drop of sunshine on your soul, always remembering where it came from.

Keep your eyes peeled later on this week for my first collaboration with one of my favorite friends and writers, Osheta Moore! She is delightful in every way, an artisan of words and wielder of wisdom. Her blog is Shalom In the City, and she along with her husband and their beautiful family have recently made their home in Los Angeles. I don't want to let the cat out of the bag, but we've shared an experience with our kids in the month of May that we want to examine from two different perspectives. I am so excited for this east coast meets west coast connection, and am thrilled to introduce you to her heart. You won't want to miss it! :)

1 comment :

Be sure to leave me a comment so I know you stopped by!