Pages

Saturday, June 6, 2015

Baptism, Courage, and Obedience



Life is all about choices. And Grant, my 7 year old, is determined once he's made one. It was an atypical Sunday; Steve and I were filling in as MC's for our church service. As a result, our kids went to their Kids' Life class for the first service, and stayed in with the adults for the second. Apparently, an announcement we made piqued Grant's interest. We gave a heads' up to the upcoming baptism service. After we finished, we headed out to lunch. Grant couldn't contain his excitement any longer. "I want to be baptized!!! Can I?" I thought for a moment, and looked at Steve, and as we considered his age, and what he knew about God, we took some time to explain what baptism was. It is an outward symbol of an inward change. He was on board 110%, and last Sunday, he took the plunge.





If I turned the clock back 26 years, I would see myself in the same and yet completely different place Grant was. My parents has recently split up, and I was joining a new church in a new denomination. In my heart, I desperately wanted to be part of this new church family, and identify myself as a follower of Christ. I hated getting my hair wet, and hated being underwater, but I was willing to look past all that to take this step of obedience. Most of my family was baptized that day; it symbolized a fresh start as a family, and a new commitment to Christ.


Grant was quieter than usual the morning he was baptized, but I could tell he had adrenaline in his veins by the confident smirk he donned. I love that smirk. It's the one he gives when he is excited about something but doesn't want to overtly show it. My husband got him changed into his swim trunks and rash guard, and the whole service, he was like a Christmas tree before its first lighting. Finally, the moment came. He carefully climbed the stairs, and I saw relief rush into his face when he sensed the water was warm. My pastors guided him into the right spot in the tank, and whispered words of reassurance to my son. Then Pastor Joe lowered my son into the tank, and pulled him out. Cheers erupted in the Gathering. The first thing he said afterward was, "I am soaked!" After the laughter had died down at his honesty, Pastor Abi declared, "He said he's soaked! Covered in Jesus' love, right?" How right she is.


The first thing that hit the water wasn't my feet that day; it was Grant's feet. Because those little feet have their own journey to take with God. A journey that will look different than mine to places I'll never go. They'll brave steep, sharp, painful places I'll never experience; and will dance dances that I'll never dance. They will rush to meet needs I'll never meet, and as they grow, will carry him farther than I'll ever see. Seeing him make the choice to be baptized, and walk in obedience was a big reminder that God has no grandchildren. Only children. There will be parts of Grant's story that will make me cringe, break my heart, and want to soak my pillow with tears. There will be moments in his life that I'll want to photoshop, delete, and expunge, and yet I won't be able to. I don't have the authority. And even the One who does, although He'll forgive Grant's sins and bring him restoration, refuses to erase the ugly altogether. Why? Because the things that Grant goes through can and will be used for God's glory, so why should they be edited out? There will be a more clear picture of grace that will come from God shining through his cracks and fissures than could come from him leading a glossy life with no mistakes. And friend, the same is true of us.


I remember talking to Pastor Abi about Grant's milestone afterward, and she remarked, "Did you notice that he didn't even plug his nose before he went under?" My eyes widened; I hadn't noticed. I flashed back to my face before I went under the water in baptism. Eyes clenched, jaw clenched, the terrifying sound and sensation of water rushing in my ears, and not only was my nose plugged, the Pastor was plugging my nose as well. That 8 year old girl was steeped in fear in more ways than one. And yet here was my son; fearless. Bold. Unwavering. Not once did he tell me or show me that he was afraid. My prayer is that for the rest of his life, he would live "unplugged". That his whole being would be submerged in the love of Christ without any fear lurking. That he would walk in obedience to God without apology or shame. For that is the life he was meant for; that is the trajectory most conducive for world changing. I'm convinced that he will teach me more as my brother in Christ than I will teach him as his Mom. As I kissed his forehead and tousled his damp hair afterward, I realized that I was in the presence of a warrior. The same King of Kings that Grant's allegiance is pledged to will be the same King of Kings that will steady this Mama's heart when that allegiance is lived out. 


May we lose ourselves in trusting God with our most rich and priceless inheritance; the next generation. May fear fall by the wayside when we realize that the choice is ultimately theirs. And may we lean into Christ more and more every day, giving our kids an imperfectly perfect picture of what to shoot for; because most likely, they will go far beyond that. 



It's my great honor and privilege to be able to introduce my beautiful friend, kindred spirit, and wonderful wordsmith Osheta Moore to you. She is a Pastor's wife, Mom, blogger, Children's pastor, and recently moved to Los Angeles from Boston. Her children, TJ and Trinity were baptized the same month as Grant, and she has written about her children's brave and beautiful journey HERE. I have no doubt you'll enjoy her refreshing take on life as much as I do! Make sure you subscribe to her blog, Shalom in the City for more nourishing soul encouragement.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Be sure to leave me a comment so I know you stopped by!