Pages

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Tea with a Slice of Life

Life is BIG.
Big milestones, big lessons, big accomplishments, and big tragedies are all a part of life's big picture. Someone might be blessed enough to live for 8 or 9 decades. We only have one shot at it. And yet,
Life is SMALL.
Small pleasures, small gestures, small victories, and small moments. It's the little things that make up life: the gentle breezes. The card in the mail. The hugs and kisses.
It's easy to marvel at the whole, and yet miss the point. Some days, I've whirred and buzzed through my day like a honeybee on steroids, only to pillow my head and have the room spin. There are the overwhelming days, the overbooked days, and the over-the-top-irritating days. All that spinning masks the little stuff that happened that day. My husband's text saying he was glad I'm his girl. My daughter's sweet kisses. My sons making music on their trumpet and clarinet. Life can be so big that the small gets lost like a lonely sock in the laundry.
And yet I'm reminded that God speaks in still small whispers. Although He spoke the universe into existence, He etched the most intricate detail on a flower petal. Although He established the boundaries of sky and sea, He formed every emerald blade of grass.
Life is big. But I'm attempting to hear God's whispers in the small things. To learn His truths in the teensiest of fleeting moments. To extract mind-blowing principles from the most unlikely of places.
The tea? Happens to be my favorite drink. I do drink coffee at times, but there's something reliably steady about a steaming hot cup of tea. It says, "Relax, and let me flow down and nourish you from the inside out." OK, it doesn't really say that, but I imagine that it would if it could.
The slice of life? It's my attempt at dissecting the vastness of life, and taking it in- one small bite at a time. Life happens, and unless I take the time to sink my fork into a slice of its many layers, and nom nom away, I miss the point. The Greatest Chef, the Bread of Life, has given us a cylindrical confection called life. It's not possible to take it all in at once, so we work at it, once slice at a time. He puts the sweet ingredients: the wins, the happy, and mixes them with the unlikely ones: the losses, the hurts, and folds them all together to make life: a life that pleases Him. A life that showcases His culinary prowess. A life that He puts on a stand for the world to see just how sweet He is.
Tea With A Slice Of Life is a place you can pull over, take a breather, and be reminded that God often speaks the mountainous mysteries of life in mole hills. Let me pour you some "talking" tea, hand you a napkin, and together we'll see what slices we're served up.

2 comments :

  1. Like the God winks we refer to? Easy to miss but if we're looking, He has many things to share with us along the way. Thanks Charisa, for sharing what God is showing you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Charisa!! Thanks for reminding me to slow down and take small sips :)

    ReplyDelete

Be sure to leave me a comment so I know you stopped by!